Entry Requirements

Woolmer Hill
In this section...

In order to become a qualified teacher in the UK, you must meet certain academic criteria set by the UK Government. 

Please see the sections below for our essential and desirable entry requirements and what to do if your qualifications were obtained overseas. If you have any queries please email our Recruitment & Marketing Lead Krissy Taylor at ktaylor@i2ipartnership.co.uk.

Equality and Diversity

Diversity is celebrated at i2i and we value applications from all candidates irrespective of race, colour, nationality, national or ethnic origins, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, disability or religious beliefs.  All candidates must be physically and mentally fit to teach children and not legally debarred from so doing. The staff of the i2i Teaching Partnership SCITT together with the Weydon Multi Academy Trust ensure that equality of opportunity is available to all members of the i2i SCITT and school communities.  


The i2i SCITT is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. We expect all our staff and trainees to share this commitment. We will ensure that all our recruitment and selection practices reflect this commitment.

Self-disclosure will be required as part of the recruitment process and all successful applicants will be required to undertake an Enhanced-level check via the Disclosure and Barring Service.

Visa to Study

Applicants from non EU countries must hold an appropriate visa stating that they are eligible to study in the UK for the duration of the course. The i2i Teaching Partnership and our Partnership Schools are not able to provide sponsorship for a Visa.


Essential Entry Requirements

Essential Entry Requirements

The i2i teacher training programme is a postgraduate programme – you will require:

  • GCSE (or equivalent) Grade C/4 or above qualifications in English and Maths. Certificates will be required at interview (certified statements can be requested from the examination boards for any lost/stolen certificates);

  • An honours degree qualification (ideally 2:2 or higher classification, third class classifications will be considered) from a UK Higher Education Institution (or equivalent if studied overseas);

  • If your degree is not in the subject in which you train to teach, an A Level in a related subject is preferred (applicants must be able to demonstrate appropriate subject knowledge for the age range they intend to teach);

  • Two academic or professional references, as appropriate.

We accept applications from candidates who are currently studying for any of the above qualifications; however any offers made would be conditional on achieving the required grade. We may be able to offer Subject Knowledge Enhancement to those whose degree is not directly applicable to the subject they wish to teach.

Applicants who are otherwise suitable for ITT but, for whatever reason, have not successfully achieved a GCSE Grade 4 may be given an opportunity to show that they can nevertheless meet the required standard by taking an equivalence test, these are available through either Equivalency Testing or A* Star Equivalency.  Please note Level 2 Functional Skills qualifications are NOT accepted as equivalent qualifications.

If you were educated overseas you will need to obtain a statement of comparability from ENIC (the UK National Information Centre for the recognition and evaluation of international qualifications and skills) to assess if you meet the entry requirements.

Successful applicants will be subject to a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check. Further information regarding this process will be provided once an offer has been made.

Apply Now

Desirable Entry Requirements

Prior school experience is not required in order to apply for a teacher training programme. You will, however, need to demonstrate a strong commitment to secondary education therefore it is advisable that applicants undertake appropriate educational experience (either paid, in a voluntary capacity or observing). During your application and interview we will look for evidence of your understanding of how a modern secondary school works, the challenges and the joys.

The i2i Teaching Partnership will support you with the process of gaining School Experience - please see our dedicated School Experience Page for further details.

Apply Now

Overseas Qualifications

In order to become a qualified teacher in the UK, you must meet certain academic criteria set by the UK Government.  If your degree or high school education were undertaken outside the UK, you will need to obtain a statement of comparability from ENIC  (the national agency responsible for providing information and advice about how qualifications and skills from overseas compare to the UK’s national qualification frameworks) to enable us to assess if you meet the entry requirements.

Visit enic.org.uk

Apply Now

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now